Feet.

My feet are itching to walk. And not just walk but hike and backpack. These are things that I have loved for a long time and yet in all the rat race that is the City Life I have trampled on these desires for a long time. Going and seeing Colorado broke open something inside of me and now the yearning for something else has come alive, full of promise.
I'm going to hike on Friday and yet it doesn't seem enough to go and hike at the local lake trail... I want to put in a good 15 or 20 mile hike and then camp leaving more walking out before you, more to anticipate.
It's funny how when you stay in a place for too long how you achieve such a false sense of security as well as a fear of what is out there.
The longer you stay put the greater the fear. Some times an all consuming and rarely rational (even when based on rational reasoning, the fear remains out of proportion.) fear that is crippling.
I don't feel much of that fear and yet I still feel crippled, confined.
This town has become a prison and I feel that bars pressing ever closer threatening to push the breath right out of me. There is not enough room for me. Not enough air for all these people. The life and energy seeps out of me and I will have to leave soon. Not for long, just long enough to feel the pull of city life again to be refreshed and energies to come back renewed for the challenges and to wait for the need to get out to grip.
For some of us going out into wilderness and nature is similar to old Celtic myths. It was said that once you stepped into the Land of the Fair Folk and managed to come back then you were gripped with The Longing. A driving need to go back and a lack of apatite for anything of this world. Eventually it would kill you. So it is for some of us who prefer wilderness. And yet when there eventually you feel the need to be here, if only because of the emptiness of your wallet.
I don't think my illness will kill me, however I could be driven mad.

Comments

Desiree said…
LENA! I didn't know you had a blog!?!

I'm linking you on mine & I'm going to read yours EVERY DAY!

Popular posts from this blog